Desserts / CHOCOLATE AND BANANA CARAMEL TART
Crave presents an elegant Chocolate and Banana Caramel Tart to die for.
Recipe by Jennifer Cheung, owner of the boutique patisserie Sift.
- Bring water, corn syrup, and sugar to boil on medium heat until golden brown.
- Turn off heat and add cream, whisk rapidly for 30 seconds (use larger bowl as mixture expands rapidly).
- Add butter and fold together. Let cool to room temperature.
- Bring cream to boil on medium heat.
- Pour into mixing bowl with chocolate chunks and combine until smooth and colour is even
- Allow to cool but do not refrigerate.
Making the dough
- Add icing sugar and soft butter to mixer at medium speed.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla extract. Sift in cocoa powder and flour, mix thoroughly.
- Add cream and combine until smooth. Cover dough with cellophane, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Shaping the tart crust
- Take dough out of fridge, wait 10 minutes before rolling to 3-4mm thickness.
- Cut circles with large cutter, lay into moulds and form tart crusts.
- Wrap gently with foil, place soybeans on top. Bake at 160°C for ten minutes.
- Remove foil and beans, rotate crusts, bake 10 minutes. Let cool, remove from mould.
- Slice bananas to 2-3mm thickness.
- Fill tart crusts halfway with caramel sauce, add layer of bananas, fill to top with chocolate ganache.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- (Optional) Lay banana slices flat on a large dish and lightly roast with propane torch.
- Arrange banana slices around the tart and top with banana ice-cream. Enjoy.
- (Makes eight tarts)
- Caramel filling
- Sugar (2 cups)
- Corn syrup (70g)
- Water (1/2 cup)
- Butter (1/2 cup)
- Cream (3/4cup)
- Chocolate ganache
- Cream (3/4 cup)
- Dark chocolate (3 1/2 oz.)
- Tart crust
- Butter (4oz.)
- Icing sugar (70g)
- One egg yolk
- Vanilla extract (3/4 tsp)
- Cake flour (180g)
- Cocoa powder (30g)
- Cream (1/4 cup)
- Soybeans (1 cup)
- Chambers Rosewood Rare Muscat
- An Australian fortified selection
- Wine pairing by Mark Bailey of Opus Grill
- Artist : Herb Alpert
- Title: Whipped Cream and Other Delights
- Date : 1965
- Label : A & M Records
- Music pairing by The Hedonist
WHERE TO BUY
- Valhrona Dark Chocolate
- from City Super and Great
- Banana ice-cream
- from I-scream (IFC mall)
PREP TIME & COOK TIME
- 1 hr; 20 mins