Pair hairy crab and uni with refreshing Japanese rice vinegar jelly for a grown-up version of the childhood favourite.
Recipe by Ryan Lee, executive chef at Inakaya.
*Featured in Crave’s Issue 87, September 2017
PREP & COOK TIME
30 minutes; 45 minutes
500g Hokkaido hairy crab
Rice vinegar jelly
30ml Japanese rice vinegar
0.5g sheet gelatin
1/2 pod of okra, thinly sliced
1. Make the rice vinegar jelly
- Soak the gelatin sheet in water for 30 minutes until softened. Place the rice vinegar and softened gelatin into a pan over low heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly until the gelatin dissolves completely and the mixture has a thick, jelly consistency. Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator until set.
2. Prepare the crab
- Clean the crab thoroughly before turning it over to preserve its natural juices and steam for 25 to 30 minutes. Let it cool. Carefully take out the crabmeat, separating it from the crab roe. Set aside.
- Using a spoon, place the jelly in a bowl and arrange the reserved crabmeat over it. Top with crab roe and uni.
4. Garnish and serve
- Garnish with sliced okra and serve.