Cracking crackling is the highlight of a dish spiked with dark beer and mustard sauce.
Recipe by Sai Hsu, executive chef at Pivo Czech Bar.
*Featured in Crave’s Issue 76, September 2016
PREP & COOK TIME
1 day; 51⁄2 hours
Pork belly (500g)
Carrot, finely chopped (50g)
Onion, finely chopped (50g)
Celery, finely chopped (50g)
Thyme (1/4 bunch)
Bay leaves (2)
White wine (100g)
Black peppercorns (1 tsp)
Grain mustard (100g)
Molasses (2 tsp)
Dark beer (2 tsp)
1. Marinate the pork
- Combine the marinade ingredients, add the pork belly and marinate for 24 hours.
2. Slow cook the pork belly
- In a steaming pot, bring water to the boil.
- Steam the pork belly for four hours at 90°C.
3. Tenderise the skin
- Pat dry the pork belly.
- Use a meat tenderiser tool to make small dents into the pig skin.
4. Bake the pork belly
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, place the pork belly into the oven with its skin facing up.
- Bake for one hour and 15 minutes or until the skin becomes crispy.
5. Mix the dressing
- In a bowl, combine the dressing ingredients.
- Serve on the side of the pork belly.