Beat the cooler weather with this warm and comforting cherry crumble topped with pistachio ice cream.
Recipe by Grand Café’s chef de cuisine Marc Briol.
*Featured in Crave’s Issue 78, November 2016
PREP & COOK TIME
30 minutes; 45 minutes
Dark cherries (825g)
Fresh lemon juice (20g)
Ground cinnamon (2g)
Unsalted butter (90g)
Plain flour (140g)
Soft brown sugar (60g)
Pistachio ice cream
Fresh cream (250g)
Fresh milk (250g)
Egg yolks (100g)
Pistachio paste (35g)
1. Prepare the cherry filling
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine all the ingredients for the cherry filling and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and stir continuously for 10 minutes.
2. Make the cherry crumble
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients to form a crumbly texture. Press two-thirds of the dough into the bottom of a 23cm square tin in an even layer.
- Spread cherry filling over the base and cover with the remaining crumble.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 190°C.
3. Make the ice cream custard
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream and milk and heat for two minutes. Remove pan from the heat, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the yolks and sugar. Beat on high speed for two minutes until the mixture has tripled in volume.
- Reduce speed to medium, and slowly pour in two cups of cream mixture. Mix well.
4. Make the pistachio mixture
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring continuously, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the pistachio paste.
- Pour the ice cream mixture through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl set in an ice water bath. Let cool completely, stirring often.
5. Freeze and serve
- Transfer to an ice cream maker to freeze.
- Once frozen, serve with the cherry crumble, or store in an airtight plastic container in the freezer until ready to serve.