Creamy and rich, this is the ultimate treat for chocolate lovers.
Recipe by República del Cacao’s pastry chef Javier Guillen.
*Featured in Crave’s Issue 78, November 2016
PREP & BOOK TIME
1 hour; 30 minutes
Almond pâte sablée
Unsalted butter (240g)
Icing sugar (120g)
Fine salt (4g)
Ground almonds (60g)
Cacao powder (70g)
Plain flour (470g)
Whole eggs (100g)
Liquid cream, 35 per cent fat (250g)
Whole milk (250g)
Coffee beans (50g)
Egg yolks (100g)
Ecuadorian dark chocolate, 56 per cent cacao (250g)
Liquid cream, 35 per cent fat (135g and 365g)
Liquid inverted sugar (12g)
Peruvian dark chocolate, 62 per cent cacao (160g)
Dark chocolate, 31 per cent cacao (400g)
Ecuadorian milk chocolate, 40 per cent cacao (100g)
Coffee beans (20)
1. Bake the almond pâte sablée
- Mix all the ingredients for the pâte sablée, adding the eggs last.
- Spread a 3mm layer of the pâte between two sheets of baking paper. Cut out circular chocolate bases, 6cm in diameter, and bake at 160°C for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Make the coffee crémeux
- In a pan over medium heat, bring the cream, milk, sugar and coffee beans to the boil.
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar. Slowly pour the hot cream onto the eggs. Soak and drain the gelatin and add to the cream and egg mixture. Pour mixture over the dark chocolate.
- Cook at 82°C to 84°C, then strain and blend for a few minutes until smooth, keeping the temperature above 35°C. Refrigerate.
3. Make the whipped ganache
- Boil 135g of liquid cream, the glucose and inverted sugar, then remove from the heat slowly. Add the chopped dark chocolate, stirring from the centre until liquid and shiny. Mix in the rest of the liquid cream little by little.
- Blend lightly and refrigerate for two to three hours. Then whisk to a consistent texture.
4. Fill the baked moulds with ganache
- Melt the dark chocolate and spread into a thin layer on a silicone mat. Freeze until solid then cut into 6cm circles.
- Fill each pâte sablée crust with coffee ganache, and top with a chocolate disc.
5. Decorate and serve
- Whip the rest of the ganache. Pipe whipped ganache onto the chocolate disc and place another chocolate disc on top.
- Use a paintbrush to add a dash of melted milk chocolate to the chocolate disc and top with a coffee bean.