Hot out of the oven, these basil pesto and ricotta cheese dough balls are simply irresistible.
Recipe by Sophia Cheng, product and quality manager at PizzaExpress.
*Featured in Crave’s Issue 77, October 2016
PREP & BOOK TIME
3 hours; 30 minutes
Dried yeast (8g)
Sugar (1 tbsp)
Warm water (150ml)
Bread flour (225g)
Extra virgin olive oil (3 tbsp)
Salt (1 1⁄2 tsp)
Ricotta cheese (20g)
Basil pesto (20g)
Rocket leaves (5g)
1. Prepare the dough
- In a large bowl, stir together the yeast, sugar and warm water, and set aside for 15 minutes. Add the flour, olive oil and salt.
- Mix by hand to form a large dough ball.
- Remove from the bowl and knead: take the far edge of the dough and roll backwards, pressing down with your palm. Repeat continuously until smooth and lump-free.
2. Divide into balls and rest
- Split the dough into pieces the size of a table-tennis ball. Place onto a large plate and cover with a damp cloth.
- Leave to prove in a warm area of the kitchen for about three hours until they double in size.
3. Flatten the dough
- Using a rolling pin, flatten each dough ball into a rectangle 20cm x 10cm.
4. Pipe the basil pesto and cheese fillings
- Fill one piping bag with cheese and another with basil pesto.
- Pipe each piece of dough with the cheese and basil pesto.
- Gently fold and roll the dough to form a long roll. Cut into six equal pieces.
5. Bake the dough balls
- Place the pieces onto a non-stick baking tray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 200°C or until golden brown.
- Garnish with rocket leaves and serve.