Filled with pickled onions, crispy fish and spicy guacamole, these are tacos like you’ve never experienced.
Recipe by Tam Wai-keung, head chef at Coyote Bar & Grill.
*Featured in Crave’s Issue 77, October 2016
PREP & COOK TIME
2 hours; 30 minutes
Ling fillets, 50g each (3)
Red onion (170g)
Salt (1⁄2 tbsp)
Apple cider vinegar (170g)
Onion, chopped (40g)
Salt (1⁄2 tsp)
Juice of 1⁄2 lime
Fresh coriander, chopped (1 tbsp)
Thai chillies, chopped (2)
Plain our (200g)
Baking powder (1 tsp)
Ground paprika (1 tsp)
Onion powder (1 tsp)
Black pepper (1⁄2 tsp)
Salt (11⁄2 tsp)
Vegetable oil (11⁄2 tsp)
Chipotle chilli (5g)
Lime juice (5g)
Cottage cheese (10g)
Fresh coriander, chopped (2 tbsp)
Lime slices (3)
1. Prepare the red onion
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the salt, sugar and vinegar for one minute and add the onion slices. Simmer for another minute.
- Transfer to another container together with the liquid and store in the fridge for at least two hours.
2. Make the guacamole
- Scoop out the avocado flesh and mash until smooth. Add the other guacamole ingredients and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
3. Batter the fish
- In a bowl, mix together all the batter ingredients.
- Coat each fillet with the batter.
4. Deep-fry the fish
- Add two litres of oil to a large saucepan or deep-fryer, and heat until steaming.
- Slowly add in the batter-coated fillet and deep-fry for around five minutes or until golden brown.
5. Assemble and serve
- Mix together all the chipotle aioli ingredients.
- In each tortilla, place a tablespoon of pickled onions, add a fish fillet, a scoop of avocado guacamole and a dollop of aioli.
- Garnish each with cheese, chopped coriander and lime slice.