This Vietnamese-style tempura fish sandwich is spiked with an herbaceous aroma and delicious crunchiness.
Recipe by Bread & Beast co-founders Lewis Dai and Katy Cheung.
Prep Time and Cook Time
1 hour and 15 mins; 30 minutes
Ciabatta bun (1)
Shallots, peeled (100g)
White-wine vinegar (3 cups)
Granulated sugar (1½ cups)
Scallion dipping sauce
Thai fish sauce (1 cup)
Lime juice (1½ cups)
Granulated white sugar (1½ cups)
Garlic, finely minced (2 cloves)
Thai red chilli, minced (1)
Galangal, minced (1 knob)
Kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced (2)
Scallions, finely sliced (1/2 cup)
Hot water (1 tbsp)
Sole fillet (120g)
Canola oil, for frying (8 cups)
English cucumber (1/3)
Ground turmeric (2 tbsp)
Baking soda (1/8 tsp)
Salt (1/2 tsp)
Cornstarch (1/4 cup)
All-purpose our (3/4 cup)
Ice-cold sparkling water (1 cup)
Salt (a pinch)
Fresh mint (6 leaves)
Fresh coriander (1/3 sprig)
1. Pickle the shallots
- Using a mandolin, finely slice the shallots into thin circles. Set aside.
- In a pan over low flame, heat the vinegar and sugar until the granules dissolve. Pour over the shallots and marinade for at least an hour or up to a week for optimal results.
2. Make the scallion dipping sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until sugar dissolves.
- Adjust flavour to taste. Set aside.
3. Prepare the vegetables
- Peel the carrot and cucumber and julienne with a mandolin.
- Combine the vegetable strips and refrigerate for one hour.
4. Deep-fry the sole
- In a large pot, heat the canola oil to 370°C. Slice the fillet diagonally in half and pat dry with a napkin. Rub with ground turmeric.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the tempura batter and add sparkling water, mixing with your hands to form a lumpy batter. Evenly coat each fillet in the batter.
- Lower the fillets slowly into the oil and fry for about four minutes until golden brown.
5. Assemble the sandwich
- Rest the fillet on a rack and season with salt.
- Slice the bun in half lengthwise and toast at 200°C for two minutes.
- Layer the bottom half of the bun with (in order) the tempura fish, mixed vegetables, scallion sauce and pickled shallots, and garnish with mint and cilantro.
- Cap with top bun, slice in half and eat immediately.