Marinate paper-thin slices of pineapple in sweet sugar syrup for a simple summer dessert.
• Pineapple (1⁄2)
• Lemon sorbet, ready-made (a scoop)
• Water (500ml)
• Sugar (250g)
• Ginger (30g)
• Limes (2)
• Berries (optional)
• Pomegranate seeds (optional)
• Mint leaves (optional)
• Using the tip of a knife, scoop out the eyes one at a time.
2. Slice the pineapple
• Use a meat slicer (preferably), mandolin or knife to cut the pineapple into paper- thin slices. The slices should be slightly translucent and, if using a knife, the blade should be visible through the pineapple.
3. Make the syrup
• In a small pot, boil the water, sugar, ginger and zest of two limes.
• In a deep dish or container, pour the hot syrup over the pineapple slices.
• Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
6. Garnish and finish
- Shape a scoop of lemon or lime sorbet into a quenelle and place in the middle of the pineapple slices.
- Garnish with berries, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves, if desired.