A humble Japanese salad of richly dressed cucumbers sprinkled with aromatic pine nuts.
Recipe by Nick Chan, head chef at Yardbird.
Prep Time and Cook Time
30 minutes; 10 minutes
Rice miso (50g)
Japanese sesame paste (90g)
White miso (50g)
Sesame oil (1 tsp)
For cucumber mixture
Pine nuts (50g)
White sesame seeds (30g)
Japanese cucumbers (3 to 6)
Coarse sea salt (a pinch)
Lemon juice (1 tbsp)
Extra virgin olive oil (1 tbsp)
1. Blend the ingredients
– In a blender, mix together the rice miso, sesame paste, mirin, white miso, vinegar and sesame oil until smooth.
– Transfer to a jar and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Toast nuts and seeds
– In a small skillet over moderate heat, toast the pine nuts and white sesame seeds for 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Prepare the cucumbers
– Cut off the tips of the cucumbers.
– Spread a pinch of coarse sea salt on a cutting board.
– Firmly press and roll the cucumbers in the salt until the grains are lodged in the cucumber skin.
4. Flavour the cucumber pieces
– Cut the cucumbers lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 3 or 4 pieces.
– In a bowl, combine the cucumber, lemon juice and olive oil.
– Add the dressing and toss until the cucumber pieces are thoroughly coated.
5. Garnish the salad
– Garnish generously with toasted pine nuts and white sesame seeds.