Meaty portobello mushrooms make a healthy alternative to a burger patty.
Recipe by Tej Pun, head chef at Common Room.
Prep Time and Cook Time
10 mins; 2.5 hour
• Portobello mushrooms (3)
• Garlic, minced (2 cloves)
• Thyme (2 sprigs)
• Lemon juice (2 tsp)
• Olive oil (2 tbsp)
• Provolone cheese, shredded (50g)
• Avocado (½)
• Arugula (½ bunch)
• Mini burger buns (3)
• Balsamic onion jam (30g)
For pesto sauce
• Basil (2 bunches)
• Pine nuts (60g)
• Extra-virgin olive oil (500ml)
• Garlic (40g)
• Parmesan cheese, grated (50g)
• Lemon juice (10ml)
• Salt and pepper to taste
Prep pesto and balsamic onion jam
• In a food processor, blend all the pesto ingredients to form a paste. Set aside.
• To make the balsamic onion jam, slow cook balsamic vinegar and onion at a ratio of 1.5:1 for two hours to achieve a saucy consistency.
Marinate the portobellos
• Skin the mushrooms and remove the stems. Marinate in garlic, thyme, lemon juice and olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Roast the portobellos
• In an oven, roast the mushrooms at 200˚C for five to seven minutes.
Grill the buns
• Cut the buns in half and warm under the grill.
• Thinly slice the avocado and set aside.
Add pesto and cheese
• Coat the back of the mushrooms with a layer of pesto and top with the provolone cheese.
• Return the mushrooms to the oven to melt the cheese.
• Place the bun bottoms on a plate and layer with a portobello, avocado slices, balsamic onion jam, arugula and bun top.
• Fix the sliders with a toothpick and serve.