Banish bland salads with this flavour-packed dish.
Recipe by Michael van Warmelo, executive chef at Souvla.
Prep Time and Cook Time
20 mins; 20 mins
• Bulghur (165g)
• Green puy lentils (100g)
• Cumin seeds (1 tsp)
• Greek-style natural yoghurt (280g)
• Honey (1 tbsp)
• Pumpkin seeds (2 tbsp)
• Almonds, silvered (2 tbsp)
• Pine nuts (2 tbsp)
• Coriander and flat-leaf parsley (1 large handful each)
• Red onion (½)
• Salted baby capers (2 tbsp)
• Currants (75g)
• Pomegranate seeds (1 tbsp)
• Lemon (1)
• Extra virgin olive oil (60ml)
• Soak the bulghur in cold water for 15 minutes. Rinse and leave to dry.
• Rinse the capers and soak the currants in orange juice. Set aside.
Simmer the lentils
• Cook the lentils in a saucepan of simmering water for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
Make cumin yoghurt
• In a non-stick frying pan, lightly toast the cumin seeds over low heat for two minutes, then grind to fine powder.
• Combine yoghurt, honey and cumin and taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover with plastic film and place in the refrigerator.
Chop the vegetables
• Finely dice the onion and shred the herbs.
• Make red wine vinaigrette by mixing two parts olive oil with one part red wine vinegar and season with honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Toast the seeds and nuts
• Roast pumpkin seeds, pine nuts and almonds on a tray at 180˚C for five minutes. Season with a little salt.
• In a large bowl, dress the grains, herbs, onion, seeds and nuts with lemon juice, olive oil and red wine vinaigrette. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
• Serve in a flat bowl and top with 2 tbsp cumin yoghurt and a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds.