These hearty homemade spare ribs are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, with the right amount of wok hei.
Recipe by Benson Fok, executive chef – Chinese cuisine at Dynasty Restaurant.
Prep Time and Cook Time
2 hours 15 minutes; 15 minutes
• Spare ribs (2 catties)
•Chicken powder (1 tsp)
• Sugar (1 tsp)
• Salt (1 tsp)
• Pepper (a few pinches)
• Cornflour (small handful)
• Shallots, chopped (8)
• Oil (6 ladles)
- Chop the ribs
• Chop each rib into half-inch thick portions.
- Marinate ribs
• In a bowl, make a marinade by combining the chicken powder, sugar, salt, pepper and cornflour.
• Marinade the ribs in the refrigerator for at least two hours to seal the flavours and tenderise the meat.
- Fry the shallots
• Add oil to the wok and heat.
• In the hot wok, quickly pan-fry the shallots to bring out the aroma. Set aside.
- Fry the pork
• Heat the wok over high heat, then reduce to medium and pan-fry the ribs.
• Keep spinning the wok to evenly distribute the heat and avoid burning.
• Once both sides are deep golden-brown, add the shallots and toss to combine.
- Add oil
• When everything has turned golden brown, add three ladles of oil to the wok, covering the meat. This helps to draw out excess oil from the pork.
- Drain serve
• Drain the excess oil.
• Using paper towel, blot the ribs to absorb oil.
• Plate and serve.