This clean, delicate and elegant dish makes a perfect appetiser.
Recipe by Mango Tsang Chiu-lit, executive chef – East at Ming Court.
Prep Time and Cook Time
15 minutes; 20 minutes
• Egg whites (2)
• Spring onions (5g)
• Yunnan ham (3g)
• Cold water (4 taels)
• Salt (a pinch)
• Lobster (300g)
• Vegetable oil (250ml)
• Chicken broth (as desired)
• Cornstarch (a dash)
- Prepare ingredients
• Separate the whites from two eggs.
• Finely dice the spring onions and Yunnan ham.
- Mix egg whites
• Add cold water to the egg whites, add a pinch of salt and stir.
• Cover with plastic wrap.
• Steam for 10 minutes, until the egg whites take on a jelly-like texture.
- Chop the lobster
• Chop the lobster into half-inch pieces.
- Fry the lobster
• Heat oil in a wok and fry the lobster, continuously scooping oil over the lobster to ensure it is covered.
• When 70 per cent cooked, remove the lobster from the heat and drain excess oil.
• Return the lobster to the heated wok, adding chicken broth, cornstarch mixed with a bit of water and salt.
• Place the cooked lobster on the egg whites and pour chicken broth over the dish.
• Garnish with the chopped spring onions and Yunnan ham.