No one can resist a bowl of this warm, creamy and filling French autumn classic.
Recipe by Philippe Orrico, chef and director of Upper Modern Bistro.
Prep Time and Cook Time
15 minutes, 1 hour
• Button mushrooms (300g)
• Shitake mushrooms (300g)
• White onions (1 piece)
• Garlic, crushed (3 cloves)
• Mushroom, vegetable or chicken stock (500ml)
• Fresh thyme, to taste
• Cream (500ml)
• Milk (500ml)
• Butter or olive oil (50g)
• Salt (2g)
• Black pepper (1g)
• Zest of 1 lemon
- Prep mushrooms and onions
• Remove the stems of the shitake mushrooms and wash under running water to remove dirt. Slice thinly.
• Wipe the whole button mushrooms (do not wash) and slice thinly.
• Thinly slice the white onion.
- Cook the onion
• In a large saucepan, warm the butter or olive oil and cook the onions, garlic and thyme until the onions are soft.
- Cook the mushrooms
• Add the mushrooms and cook until the water has evaporated.
- Add stock
• Bring the stock to a simmer until reduced by half. Add the salt.
- Add cream
• Add the cream and milk. Simmer on very low heat for an hour.
- Blend and strain
• Pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
• Strain for a smoother texture.
• Season with salt, pepper and lemon zest to serve.