Add a dash of smoky spiciness to a Cantonese meal with this chunky, homemade XO sauce.
Recipe by Wong Wing-keung, Chinese executive chef at Yee Tung Heen.
Prep Time and Cook Time
1 hour 15 minutes; 1 hour 5 minutes
• Dried scallops (20 taels)
• Shallots (5 taels)
• Garlic (5 taels)
• Dried shrimps (8 taels)
• Chinese ham (6 taels)
• Salted fish (1.5 taels)
• Dried chillies, chopped (0.5 taels)
• Fresh chillies (1 tael)
• Peanut oil (2.5 jin)s
• Chilli powder (1 tael)
• Chicken powder (1 tael)
• Sugar (1 tael)
• Chilli oil (4 taels)
• Sesame oil (4 taels)
• Dried shrimp roe (1 tael)
• Bean paste (4 taels)
- Soak scallops
• Soak the dried scallops in cold water for 20 minutes.
- Steam scallops
• Steam the scallops for 45 minutes.
• Cool at room temperature until dry.
- Prepare ingredients
• Shred the dried scallops.
• Finely dice the shallots and garlic, Chinese ham, dried shrimps, salted fish and chillies.
- Cook ingredients
• Heat a wok, add oil, garlic and shallots, mixing well and cooking until golden brown.
• After 15 minutes, add shrimp and cook for three minutes, add salted fish and cook for two minutes, then add ham. Cook for 30 minutes.
• Add scallops and cook for another 30 minutes over low heat.
• Add the seasoning ingredients to the mixture, stirring continuously.
• Bring to the boil and cook for three minutes.
- Cool and serve
• Set aside to cool.
• Spoon into a jar or serve immediately.